The mission of Heifer International is to help end world hunger and poverty. Heifer International provides families with animals, from which they can collect agricultural products like milk, eggs, and honey for consumption and for sales, giving them a reliable source of food and income. The ultimate goal is to empower families and make them self-sufficient.
Heifer International has developed 12 cornerstones to help lead families and communities to self-sufficiency:
1. Pass on the gifts that Heifer International provides families
2. Be mutually accountable to the community
3. Share resources and care for others
4. Give those with the most need the highest priority when receiving animals and training
5. Involve all members of the community in decision making
6. Encourage both men and women to participate in decision making
7. Provide training and education for self-reliance
8. Improve animal management
9. Improve the environment
10. Foster the belief in the value of life
11. Provide nutrition and income to each family
12. Practice sustainability for self-reliance
About the Author:
Nicholas James Pedler is a finance and accounting consultant by profession. He is involved in numerous charitable organizations, including Heifer International.